GitHub is the most popular code hosting tool used by coders that is widely used for version control for software application development. GitHub allows the coders and developers to work together on multiple projects at the same time.
But, the GUI or the dashboard of GitHub is quite confusing and it is not like any other user-friendly software application. Personally, I found the GitHub dashboard to be very complex, and a new user would not be able to understand the features and operations without some professional help. So, here I am providing the readers with a list of top tools, which can be replaced GitHub and its services.
Remember GitHub is most popular as it is one of the very first of its kind and also GitHub is an Open source tool, so it’s free. But in this list, I will be talking about both the free-open source application to commercial applications which can be the perfect alternative for GitHub.
Just like GitHub, Bitbucket is also considered as a version control tool developed by renowned software developers Atlassian. Bitbucket is not just a mere Git code management tool, it is actually more than that. It allows a couple of unique features which can be used to plan projects, helps the team collaborate on code, let the developers test the apps alongside, and deploy on the web as well.
- Free unlimited private repositories
- Best-in-class Trello & Jira integration
- Allows you to build quality software with code review
- Helps you to secure your workflow
- Bitbucket lets you build, test and deploy with integrated CI/CD
Another alternative for GitHub is Buddy, which is a shrewd CI/CD tool for web designers intended to lower the entry verge to DevOps. The pipelines are designed with over hundreds of ready-to-use actions, which can be arranged in a various way – just like one building a house of bricks, so simple but quite innovative approach. According to the architecture of Buddy, it uses delivery pipelines to let the users build, test and deploy software in a more subtle way.
- The configuration will take only 15-minute at most; the UI is clear and easier to use comparing to GitHub
- Isolated containers loaded with cached dependencies are used to run the builds
- Based on changesets the deployment acts lighting fast
- Dedicated roster of Docker/Kubernetes actions
- Almost all the popular programming languages are supported, most of the frameworks & task managers are supported as well
- YAML configuration is supported as well as Parallelism is supported
- DigitalOcean, Azure, Shopify, AWS, Google, integrations are supported, even the WordPress integration is supported as well.
Gogs is another GitHub alternative which makes the easiest and faster way of setting up self-hosted Git services. With the help of this version control tool, you can perform independent binary distribution across various platforms.
- Gogs runs anywhere can compile for Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.
- Excellent performance and efficiency
- Gogs has minimal requirements which allow you to run on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi
SourceForge is an open-source development and distribution platform. The tool is hosted on Apache, Allura, and supports many different projects. Users can select either Git, Mercurial as their version control system.
- Extensive worldwide mirror network
- Integrated Issue Tracking
- Allows browser-based code browsing
- You can download statistics by platform, over time, and by region.
- Supports forums, blogs, and mailing lists
Amazon’s Git-based version control service is also ideal for companies which are using other AWS services. With scalable cloud storage and no size limits.
- Offers easy Access and Integration
- AWS CodeCommit tool is designed for collaborative software development
- Allows helps you to transfer files to and from AWS CodeCommit using HTTPS or SSH
- It allows you to create as many repositories
Gitbucket is a high extensibility open-source tool for hosting source code for the software development process. It offers a set of tools and feature which allows developers to easily manage project code.
- Repository Viewer
- Pull Request
- Issue tracker
- Documentation, and wiki
- Offers plugin system to extend its core features
Phabricator is a group of tools for developing software. It includes tools for code review, repository hosting, bug tracking, project management, etc.
- It is an open-source project so you can freely download and install it locally on your hardware
- If you are hosting this tool on your hardware and you are looking for assistance, then you can purchase a support
- Allows hosting for automatic updates, maintenance, and access to support
Beanstalk is a secure, powerful and most reliable GitHub alternative tool. It helps you to manage source code repositories. It is designed to improve your development workflow.
- Support for Git and SVN hosting
- Helps you to deploy code fast and accurately
- Customize deployment configurations for each environment
- It allows for two types of feedback, Issues, and Discussions
Apache Allura is an open-source tool. It is a website which allows you to manage bug reports, source code repositories, discussions, etc.
- Helps you to manage multiple projects
- Source code management features allow working with Git, svn also merge requests, forks, etc.
- Mailing list or forum or both integrated approach for open discussions
- Provide wiki for managing documentation
- Most effective bug tracking system
Gitea is painless self-host git service. This community of code hosting solution written in Go and published under the MIT license.
- It runs anywhere can compile for Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.
- Easy to install as you need to run the binary for your platform. Or you can also ship Gitea with Vagrant or Docker
- Gitea need very minimal memory requirements and can run on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi
CodeGiant is most intuitive and performant issue trackers tool available in the market. Users can select two project styles: active sprint or Kanban work boards.
- Git repositories, the easy way
- Allows fatter software development
- Continuous integration, in a single workflow
- Publishable documentation
It an enterprise source code management, open-source, and secure tool. It is also a unified tool for Mercurial, Git and Subversion. RhodeCode’s Community Edition is free. However, if you pay for the enterprise edition, you can integrate with enterprise tools, premium support, and more.
- Helps you to conduct code reviews, iterate and improve code quality
- Workflow Automation for Faster Interaction
- Helps you to manage software assets with enterprise-level permission control
- Permission Management for Secure Software Development
Trac is a lightweight project management tool. It offers a minimalistic approach to web-based software project management. Trac allows you to manage your team’s established and development process.
- Bug tracking
- Extend the standard functionality through plugins
- Manage team knowledge, using the wiki
- Task management and team collaboration
- Time tracking, cost reporting, and budgeting
Google Cloud Source Repositories
- Unlimited private Git repositories for free
- Catch issues early with built-in CI
- Design, develop, and securely manage your code
- Get powerful code search capabilities
Neither GitHub nor any of its alternative apps are some mere apps which you need to install on your system. All the apps above are a piece of professional tools, so any of these can be used by professional developers only. If you are a beginner like me then you should understand your and your teams needs first before using any of these. One more important factor is that in many cases, you will not able to choose which Git repositories to use, as while working as a team for an organization, that organization choose the tools for their employees; so, there you have to go with the provided one. Also, if you are opting for any of the commercial Git Repository options then you should be sure about all the features and services you are about to get, and you should confirm those details by talking to the customer care representative of the respective tools’ company. Also, be sure about any hidden charges and drawbacks as well.